Residential & Commercial Investors
There is a lot to get your head around and do if you are going to build a property investment portfolio. It takes time to build your knowledge and confidence; where do you buy, how much do you spend, how much land, what type of dwelling, what is going on in the area that you should know about. And that’s all before getting to the time consuming and hands on process of searching, evaluating, negotiating and then investigating any properties you get under contract.
It’s easy to get property wrong:
- Choose a poor location and you could stunt the capital growth.
- Choose the wrong type of dwelling and you may struggle with bad tenants.
- Pay too much and it may take you much longer to build equity, slowing down your ability to buy again – in turn affecting your long term wealth potential.
- If you don’t conduct proper and thorough due diligence you could end up with something you didn’t bargain on.
- Get frustrated with the buying process (probably because it is taking over your evenings and weekends!) and end up buying something in haste that is not right.
Over the long term – property is very forgiving. But wouldn’t you rather invest without the mistakes and the hassles? And in such a way that you maximize capital growth and long term wealth? Wouldn’t it be great to have high performing capital growth portfolio built for you without the hassle of spending time searching, dealing with agents and worrying about whether it’s the right property? Just imagine it – carrying on with life – your job, your family, your social life – while your portfolio is being built. Too easy you say – well that’s exactly what our clients say – it’s too easy, that’s why we keep coming back to E+O.
At Erskine + Owen we take the hassle and time consuming factor out of the buying process and deliver a high performing property portfolio.
How do we do that? With our passion, experience, knowledge and networks. First and foremost we are passionate about understanding our clients goals – we love designing and building portfolios that achieve those goals. Yes we love property – but it’s the magic of seeing our clients portfolios grow over time and help bring change to our clients lives. That’s what really gets us out of bed in the morning.
We also have a huge amount of hands on property experience. Our Directors are both significant property investors and have been advising and buying for clients for over a decade. With this experience comes a huge bank of knowledge that can be drawn on. It also brings a great network of agents that know and trust us, and love to tell us about upcoming properties, and sometimes off market properties, because they know we buy.
So read on to find out how our step by step process can take you from a standing start to a great property portfolio.
Full Search Service
Our full search service provides residential and commercial property investors with a complete buying solution, following a 3 step process.
1. FINANCIAL PLAN
This is financially focused. What lifestyle are you wanting to achieve when not working, how much income do you need to pay for that lifestyle, and when do you want to get there? This is a 1.5-2 hour session with Alan Henderson, Director of Erskine + Owen, Chartered Accountant and Authorised Financial Advisor. Click here for more.
We take your Plan and over lay that on our extensive capital growth and yield research to make a recommendation as to where and what to buy in order to get you to your goals as quickly and safely as possible. If capital growth is your goal – don’t you want to be in the areas that get the most capital growth?
Capital Growth Driver Framework
To achieve the above, we read government treasury reports, council growth and district plans. We converse with the council and analyse the Statistics New Zealand population growth projections, and demographic forecasts. We glean information about community initiatives and review employment data; building consent data; rental statistics; sales volumes; significant new shopping complex proposals; etc. We are members of the property council and are current with the Auckland Unitary Plan and it’s implications.
When you come to us for a Profile session we come to the table with all of that knowledge. Then we marry it up to your personalised plan to create a tailored buying Profile. We start with the big issues of where to buy, and get right down to the detail of whether or not the building will have a reception area. This is not an instructional exercise – it is us arming you with knowledge, so you can take our recommended profile or adjust it based on your comfort levels.
This is a personalised session with Director of Erskine + Owen, Lisa Phillips. Out of it you will get a detailed buying profile document that is the blueprint for searching. It will make the search far more focused and effective.
We take your buying profile and leverage our considerable network to identify residential and commercial properties that meet your brief. This step includes:
- Find, Select, Property Analysis, Comparative Sales Research, Property Introduction.
- Contract Negotiation, Auction Attendance, Re-negotiation (if necessary).
- Due Diligence Residential
We co-ordinate building inspection, valuation, LIM, property file.
Due Diligence Commercial
We conduct a commercial review of the lease and research the tenant. We investigate the body corporate agreement and co-ordinate earthquake report, building inspection, valuation, LIM, property file.
- Declaring the property unconditional – we liaise with your solicitor and bank.
- Pre-Settlement Inspection/ Settlement
- Mortgage Brokering and Property Management (if required)
The value to you is
- Saving of time – probably a quicker result than if you were doing it yourself – we search all day every day – and we have evidence to support the assertion that we get good prices and terms.
- We see properties you wouldn’t – we are often shown properties long before they hit the market. Why? Sales agents like working with us – we do all the work of looking after you the buyer – the sales agent can just focus on the vendor. Also 99.9% of our contracts go unconditional.
- Negotiation experience – We are experienced in negotiating in all markets – hot or cold. That comes from successfully negotiating hundreds of property transactions – large and small.
- Access to good advisers – We’ve spent years finding the best advisers through trial and error. We get better rates and response times because of the volume of business we push them. As a client of Erskine + Owen you get access to our advisers.
- Less hassle – time aside, there is also the hassle factor that goes with sourcing and successfully buying a property. Persistent sales agents, looking at lots of properties that don’t fit the brief, being outbid, interruption of the day to sign contracts; co-ordination of due diligence – which includes finding good people to do the job.
We know property – we know what to look out for. You can be 1/2 way round the world – as many of our clients are, but you can be assured that property will be thoroughly investigated.
We work with a flat rate fee structure that is agreed to up front. Contact us for a detailed price guide, +649 377 6463 or firstname.lastname@example.org.